Our Advocacy Agenda
The Minnesota Pharmacists Association is the primary organization in the state that provides representation for pharmacists’ interests with state departments, regulatory agencies, and the Minnesota Legislature.
At MPhA, we understand that the state laws and regulations provide the framework under which Minnesota pharmacists practice, and we are committed to ensuring that public officials recognize the professional qualifications of pharmacists, and act to support legislation that will allow pharmacists to practice to the full extent of their capabilities and be reimbursed adequately for these services.
We are actively engaged in advocacy efforts to ensure that laws and regulations keep pace with the evolution of the profession, and to increase public awareness of the role of pharmacists in advancing patient care.
Current issues MPhA is working on through its policy committees and in conjunction with the Minnesota Pharmacy Alliance include:
- Expanding medication administration to include any IM or SQ prescribed medication
- Expanding pharmacists’ ability to be part of the solution by increasing patient access to:
- Naloxone, an opioid antagonist
- Hormonal contraceptives
- Tobacco cessation medications
- Communicating that drug importation would require extensive measures to ensure safety and may not be the solution to reducing prescription drug costs
- Increased responsibilities for pharmacy technicians
Get more information about Pharmacists expanding health care access with 2020 legislative issue briefs!
Click here to view the 2019 MPhA Public Affairs Committee’s Annual Report to the House of Delegates.